Sunday, December 23, 2007

Christmas Cheer

I hate Christmas shopping. There's really nothing good about it. I have to spend money I don't have to buy things people don't need from a store who's employees don't care.

No wonder my mother-in-law scrooged me. (You know the I've been elfed thing? Yeah...not me)

And as a teacher, why shouldn't I be scroogey? For what ever reasons, teachers are seen as these great public servants making great sacrifices for our future; that is until one's child isn't an A student or receives a zero on an assignment or makes a simple mistake entering grades into the computer, and then the teacher becomes some lower-class filth not worthy of respect. Irony at its greatest. Bah humbug.

Get over yourself Jacobson. I realized last night that school is out, so I shouldn't (and in all truth, don't) care about conflicts happening regarding my classroom. It's not about what I spend or what I buy. The fact is, my wife feels valued and loved when she knows that I'm going out of my way to buy something special for her (with a cheerful attitude I might add). I praised God when I was in and out of the store in less than an hour on a Saturday afternoon before Christmas. And now, I'm actually excited for Christmas. I don't care what I'm getting, it's probably coal anyways.

And I think that's what people miss out on--I know I have for the past couple of years. I've been so busy that I stumble on Christmas in a haze. And amidst all the busy-ness, I've lost out on the idea of gifts. God gave us his son as a gift. Christ gives his grace. The holy spirit grants spiritual gifts. I don't want to offer church cheese balls here, but there's something to be said about celebrating the giving of gifts.

God has given me a beautiful wife and a loving family, a warm house, a sweet-up dog, a fulfilling job, a spot in grad school, a heart for people and relationships, a love of literature and examining the human experience, and countless other things. But most importantly, He has given us incredible friendships that draw us closer to him.

And I haven't even opened presents yet. How cool is that?

No comments: